Betcha didn’t see that coming. It’s 8:45am on Monday and I am still in Raleigh.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Take three minutes to write yourself a short note of encouragement without using the word “should.”
The way you talk to yourself in your head can have a big impact on reality. The word “should” can sneak in when you are trying to change something about yourself. Instead, it can have the opposite effect, leading you to focus on your own shortcomings. Limiting your use of the word “should” and talking to yourself positively may change the way you look at your goals.
I should learn to use my camera better so that I can have photos for this blog.
Brake And Switch
Early Saturday morning I walked out to the Jackmobile and couldn’t get the trunk to open with the key fob. I tried a couple of times with no luck. When I was able to get the door lock to open using it I knew that the battery wasn’t dead. Then I walked around to the trunk and saw that the taillights were on.
Now before you jump to the wrong conclusion I shall state that I did not leave the car lights on.
While not dead the battery did not have enough charge to start the engine so I called AAA and had them come out to give me a jump start.
Unfortunately no matter what I did I couldn’t get the taillights to go off, so with the thought that if I did nothing all that I would be doing is draining the battery again I sought other options.
Even in this day it’s not easy to find mechanics open on the weekends. After calling around I wound up taking the Jackmobile to a nearby Meineke shop that is a full-service shop, and ironically located right next door to a AAA Auto Care Center that was recommended to me by the AAA driver. I had decided to not go with a AAA Auto Care center because the two that I looked up using Google had mediocre reviews at best.
Initially I felt confident with the selection of Meineke but lost confidence as the day wore on without a phone call telling me that they’d found the problem and needed my authorization to do the work.
After a few calls back and forth the Meineke shop identified my problem as a bad brake switch and told me that they could have the work done by today. They did get it fixed as I picked the car up this morning.
While pleased that the Jackmobile seems to be running right again with “only” a $150 repair I am wondering if the brake switch that failed was the same switch that was replaced back in January when I couldn’t get the Jackmobile to get out of Park. Come to think of it, I remember blogging about a similar taillight issue in February.
ITP Flickr Pic
I attempted to take photos this weekend and failed.
More On My Weekend Tomorrow
I’m running behind schedule.
Today’s Personal Project
Get home at a reasonable hour.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – good
Current Music – silence
Website Of The Day – none today.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – n/a
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – 217 pounds (2014-06-14)
Foot Mileage – ~10.5 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~33.0 miles
Gym Visits – 5 (5 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clean my basement to the point where I could have people over
– hire a plumber to fix all of the sinks at the ITP Estate
– go away two of the weekends
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to Simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway