I tried calling my mother last night at 10:00pm but she wasn’t home yet. Some days her ability to go out and play bingo until 10:30pm on a weeknight astounds me.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Sit cross-legged, bend forward with your arms in front of you, and lean to each side five times.
This yoga-inspired stretch will wake up the muscles in your hips, sides, and back. Tight muscles can limit your movements and lead to soreness in your back, hips, and shoulders. Stretching after a period of inactivity – like sleeping or sitting – can reduce tightness in your muscles
Do they mean sit Indian-style? 😉
Walkin’ Then Drinkin’
To give our aged bodies a rest the boss and I did a six-mile walk in the post-work hot, humid afternoon yesterday. By the time we were through we both needed a cold beverage so we drove down to our new-favorite hangout Lucky’s Burger & Brew. I completely trashed the workout with two bottles of Bell’s Two-Hearted IPA and an order of tater tots with chili.
Big Demo Day
Knock on wood, 90% of my app is ready to be demonstrated to the boss’ boss this afternoon. Of course I am reliant on the still-in-development server component to feed my app data, but that issue is beyond my control.
Regardless of whether this app becomes a (niche) hit I’ve gained some much-needed skills by developing it.
Weekend’s A Comin’
Earlier in the week I mentioned some potential weekend plans. If you like the beer drinking there is a lot happening this weekend, but I think that I am going to stick to my plan of riding my mountain bike up the belt line (unless it gets to be too crowded in which case I’ll take to the street) to for their Saturday tasting. I’m told by ITP-Reader Stacy (aka “Cheese Nips”) that she’ll be volunteering Saturday afternoon, so if nothing else I’ve got that goin’ for me.
Sunday will definitely be a play-it-by-ear sort of day. There is a part of me that is clamoring to return to the Black Sheep Hash for “Catch the Crabs” but the weather at this point is sketchy. (Lest we not forget that “Catch the Crabs” was the hash of the infamous lightning strike that scared the shit out of the hashers that day). I also need to do laundry. I also need to clean up the debris that has entered my yards during the past week. And of course I need to start clearing out the house so that I can eventually call the realtor.
Today’s Personal Project
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – okay, need to keep pushing the envelope.
Current Music – silence at the moment
Website Of The Day – Speaking of Sother, he’s in this contest on Edible Manhattan through the end of the month, in which he is in a neck-and-neck battle for first place. I’ve been voting for him ever day.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – walking, ~6.0 miles
Morning Weigh-In – checking tomorrow, know I won’t like what I see
Foot Mileage – ~10.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~0.0 miles
Gym Visits – 2 (2 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clear out a room’s worth of things I no longer wish to own for the rest of my life
– hire a plumber to come in and fix the “small” repairs
– contact a realtor to make a hit list of things that need to change before the house can be listed
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway