Even by my standards last night was strange, not in a “I met a wonderful woman” strange, but strange nonetheless.
Today’s Daily Challenge
Learn signs and symptoms of asthma.
Asthma is a chronic lung condition that restricts the airways and makes it harder to breathe. The symptoms aren’t always severe, but without the proper treatments, an asthma attack can be life-threatening. By learning the common signs and symptoms, you’ll be better prepared to seek treatment if you experience them.
Things That Go Boom On The Drive
I scampered out of work at 4:00pm in order to beat a bit of traffic downtown. What I didn’t realize was that I was also driving myself into yet another powerful thunderstorm. Holy Hell a lot of water was dumped on midtown and downtown yesterday afternoon. I managed to avoid the myriad of people who cannot drive in this town as well as dodge the massive puddles that were created on the side of the roads and made it downtown in fairly decent time.
My knowledge of downtown, specifically the Fairly-Polpar region, paid off again as within two turns I found myself in an inexpensive, covered parking garage.
What To Do With Two Hours To Kill?
Because it was raining the thought of walking around downtown was unappealing. I wandered about the parking lot for awhile seeking unique photo opportunities, but came up fairly dry, which as about the only dry thing within eyesight.
While it is not uncommon to see tv/movie lighting trucks around these days I was a little surprised to find that from the third floor of the parking garage I could watch the setup and shooting of a scene of a movie or tv show. Apparently I saw the shooting for an upcoming episode of a tv show called Constantine.
The rain finally stopped so I decided to walk around and try to find the building that Switchyards will inhabit next year; this turned out to be my biggest rookie mistake of the night. I walked toward The Tabernacle and of course was approached by someone who just needed some money for food. As I do, because I am a cold-hearted privileged person, I said “I’m sorry” and kept walking. What I should have done is kept walking further.
As I approached the ferris wheel I realized that I had made a directional error and passed Spring Street, so I turned around. Even crossing the street to walk on the other side didn’t keep another person from coming up to me. His story was that he’d gotten out of jail two days ago and that he wasn’t looking for money. Uh huh, I’ve heard that before… To my surprise he accepted my offer to buy him food at the nearby convenience store, so we walked the two blocks together and I bought him a sandwich, chips, and a drink. I’ve never done this before. After exiting the store I declined his offer to help me find the building and parted ways.
So. Many. People.
Because of the weather I figured the tour of Switchyards was cancelled. When I found the building I also found four other guys trying to figure out how to get in. We eventually gave up and made our way to Park Bar, an establishment I never knew existed never mind visited. The bar is nice and we had the entire upstairs reserved for our party. I was glad to have gotten there and ordered food early because when the people who met up at Switchyards arrived, the place became packed. I never expected Switchyards to generate so much interest.
Today’s Personal Project
Get some exercise.
Stats & Goals
Current Mood – pretty good
Current Music – listening to today’s stage of La Vuelta EspaÃ±a.
Website Of The Day – Last night we were shown Slingput, a service targeted at helping people realize ideas.
Mode Of Transportation To Work – my car
Exercise (b)Log – nothing
Morning Weigh-In – checking tomorrow
Foot Mileage – 0.0 miles
Wheel Mileage – ~25.0 miles
Gym Visits – 0 (0 cardio)
Marta Rides To Work – 0
Bike Rides To Work – 0
– clear out a room’s worth of things I no longer wish to own for the rest of my life
– hire a plumber to come in and fix the “small” repairs
– contact a realtor to make a hit list of things that need to change before the house can be listed
2014 Goals: Measurable
– Get my weight down to 190 pounds so that I can wear a 36″ waist pants comfortably
– Completely read ten books, audio books permissible
– Save $500 for the sole purpose of donating to charitable organizations of my choice
– Completely run at least one 10k
– Fix all (or at least most) of the things which are wrong with the ITP Estate
– Sell the ITP Estate (tentative)
2014 Goals: Unmeasurable
– Continue to simplify, simplify, simplify
– Continue backing up all data, including the off-site storage
– Do not create a solution for something which is not a problem
– Eat smaller portions
– Start, and continue, to make my own bread using my bread machine as well as using the technique outlined in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
– Read and discard magazines during the month in which they arrive (even digitally)
Books I’ve Read/Heard In 2014
- “Johnny Carson” by Henry Bushkin
- “Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative” by Austin Kleon
- “Chaos: Making a New Science” by James Gleick
- “What’s So Funny?: My Hilarious Life” by Tim Conway