When you are expecting three out of three, two out of three is bad.

Apparently some things do change. I was not the first one to arrive, nor the last one to break down at STU. I knew I was asking too much of STU to salvage my month, and some unfortunate events occurred, thus turning it into another weekend I am going to try to forget. It’s troublesome how much I looked forward to a few events during the past two months and how they were turned into depressing memories.

On Friday I somehow managed to ride 69 miles, instead of the forty I anticipated. It was a long, hard day in the saddle, but even after cramping in the 66th mile I finished without walking. I was proud of myself, a feeling that has not occurred since my world collapsed at the beginning of the month. STU was off to a good start, at least in the riding arena.

Then on Friday night I figuratively hit rock bottom and literally jammed my right thumb. The thumb is not broken but was black and blue yesterday, and still a little swollen today; if it doesn’t show signs of improvement soon I will go to a doc-in-a-box to have it checked out.

On Saturday morning, after getting about only four hours of sleep, I went out for a 42 mile ride, packed up my tent, and then returned ITP. I was encouraged to stay in Rutledge, but it was too painful for me to do so. Leaving early reminds me of my olden days when I would leave hash campouts early because I was unhappy. Unfortunate. I will get stronger again, and now allow myself to return to this pattern.

I was a DNS for Sunday after abandoning STU. Even though I was no longer in Rutledge, my legs were trashed from two days of pushing myself beyond my limits, and my thumb was still swollen, I had to ride to prove to myself that I would have been able to complete the weekend had I stayed. I rode my old Stone Mountain route, 39 miles, to bring my weekend total to 150 miles. Given the circumstances you can imagine that it was a melancholy ride at best.

This weekend was an trial to see if I could ride BRAG Light, the first three days of Big BRAG. And, even though my back is a little sore from riding, last night I signed up for it! *mind blown* Over three days in June I will be riding from Columbus to Dublin, and then taking the shuttle back from Dublin to Columbus. I have a lot to learn and plan for this adventure.

Yesterday afternoon I met a couple of buddies for beer at The Po Boy Shop. Before starting for home I called Grant Central East and ordered a large, white pizza to pick up for dinner. It was delicious, and I still have six more slices to eat!

A major chapter of my life closed this weekend. April can go fuck itself and I can’t wait to see its end. I will lick my wounds for another five days and start my life all over again on the 1st of May, which is ironically the day that outdoor fucking starts according to the Jonathan Coulton song.

Though I was “at home” for the better part of the weekend there wasn’t a lot of time available to do much around the house, so all is a bit messy at the moment. I am going to take coffee over to Betsy’s this morning to catch up with her, and then upon returning home start a long day of cleaning, organizing, and WLF choring.

I intended to go to the hash tonight, especially since it starts in Brownwood Park. However, given all of the water that has passed under the bridge this month I think it’s best if I don’t. I’ll run the trail tomorrow morning so I know where I should/shouldn’t lay my SLUT trail on May 5th.

Hope that your weekend was strong and that you are remaining healthy.

I solved today’s Wordle in three attempts; my starter today was ATONE

This entry was posted in My Daily Life. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 2022-04-25

  1. April continues to cause me grief. Although in the Lowe’s app my gift card showed a balance of $50, their system says it has a &0 balance and declined payment using it.

  2. David says:

    Kudos on the riding! I look forward to being able to ride again some day. I hope your thumb clears up.

    I realized half of my battle with Wordle is I tend to work it when I’m just waking up and my brain is’t fully engaged. It took me 4 attempts with STALE to get the answer. NYT Mini in 30 seconds.

    Everyone reading this blog should be able to get today’s Heardle in 1 second. Literally, 1 second.

    • Thanks. You will ride again, he’ll you have a fancy pants bike! Hope your recovery is going as planned.

      • David says:

        I had a more elaborate comment earlier but the blog ate it. Recovery is progressing, thank you. It’s tricky because now that I can do more, I get sudden snap reminders of what I still can’t do. All part of the process.

    • Barb says:

      since I’m not a fan of that band, it took me 2 seconds.

  3. Steve says:

    Wordle in 4, which should have been 3. Heardle should have been in a half second- didn’t really need the full second. Thanks David!

    It was a long weekend of racing with occasional stressful moments. Only one transport Saturday and hardly anyone crashed on Sunday. Numbers were good and bad. 50 pro women and 80 pro men can put on a great show- and did. Glad it’s over and now for the paperwork.

    As I got home Saturday around 8, I stopped to get the mail and noticed a small line of vehicles parks across the road where the property just sold. Then gunfire like it was the end of times! Apparently they have set up a gun range of sorts. Debbie said it had been going on all day- and Sunday as well. Oh. Joy. The horses were unperturbed. Neighbor Steve reported he thought the purchaser was “Mexican Cartel”. Great.

    Good mileage numbers for you considering the amount of training…


  4. Since you said Heardle was a lay up I tried it. For people of certain ages it is a one-second solve.

    • David says:

      I had a boss who was fond of saying “Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.” That’s what Heardle feels like to me.

  5. Barb says:

    Way more miles than me this weekend – but I knew that would happen.
    Got there Friday morning – Allan waited for me & we did a nice 27 ish miles.
    Saturday we took our time leaving – and planned a wings & beer stop in
    Rutledge with Bob, Travis & Mango, & the added bonus of “fun Steve”, since he got left in the dust by Sally & Tim deciding to do the 100. Our ride ended up being 28 miles. My clogged up head & chest from allergies & god knows what else made that mileage enough of a challenge.
    Sunday we started out – decided at about 1 mile that neither of us really felt like riding. So, we turned around, packed up & headed home. Got talked into going to the Taste of Marietta, and I remembered how much I really don’t like big crowds & lines. We found a beer tent that the line was shorter, got a beer then ended up inside at Johnny McCrackens for food. It was fun catching up with the friends we met up with.

  6. Home from my coffeeklatsch with Betsy. Time to start choring. First up on the agenda is to blow the leaves and pollen from the carport and then give the M6 a thorough cleaning. Then, lunch, and WLF choring…

    • Barb says:

      my CRV needs a serious car wash after this weekend – feel free to come to Marietta. I’ll buy you a beer, or dinner.

      • I am in the middle of the process now. M6 has been vacuumed and wiped down on the inside. I am about to give it a much needed bath. I only wish I had a date lined up, because it will look really sharp, at least for today…

  7. Bob says:

    Good to see you at STU, I was happy to hear you signed up for BRAG lite. Good times will be had!
    I have A LOT of work to do before BRAG, I hope I can get miles in between now and then.

  8. M6 is almost done, all I need to do is wash the floormats for the front seats. Taking a lunch break. Leftover pizza for the win!

    Sitting in the firepit patio eating my lunch, watching the cabbage white moths flutter about WLF.

  9. Oh, I forgot to mention that my Velo News (owned by Outside magazine) membership saved me $30 on my BRAG Light registration!

  10. Debbie says:

    Wordle fail today. I started with FLOUR and never got my head in the game.

    I’m hoping the new wears off soon for the new owners of the lot across the road. The shooting this weekend was insane. Automatic weapons shooting hundreds of rounds. It sounded like a legit firing range on a very busy day. The animals were fine; my nerves were shot. It’s just jarring to have that much shooting nonstop and especially in such close proximity.

    My little container garden is fully planted, now to keep it all alive. We should have a nice harvest of heirloom tomato varieties if all goes to plan.

    Glad everyone got out and enjoyed the beautiful weekend. I managed to fit two rides in around working all weekend.

  11. 1:30pm and I am finally getting into the shower. The M6 is clean inside and out, now it’s my turn.

    Also, took the weed whacker for a spin around WLF, but thought best about doing that to myself…

    • Barb says:

      I walked over to Sal’s house to let the dogs she’s sitting out for a pee for my lunch break. its pretty warm out there today.
      Its a little under 2 miles round trip, so I got a little exercise.

Comments are closed.