Living On Deutschland Time

By the time I arrived home yesterday it was nearly 5pm. Our flight had a bit of a late start, we apparently were flying into headwinds most of the way thus making the flight’s duration about nine hours and forty minutes. Ouch.

I will say that having Global Entry is well worth the $100 for five years, though. I was through customs in no time!

And then I had to take the ridiculously long bus ride from the international terminal to MARTA. Holy cats, I think that bus ride is longer than the distance from the airport to my house.

I took MARTA trains to Edgewood/Candler Park and then called a Lyft to get me home.

When I arrived at the house I saw this,
Not Exactly The "Welcome Wagon"
a charred newspaper in my driveway. WTF?

Think back to two weeks ago when I fretted over something that I feared to (not) do. That thing was locking the M6. For some reason it never dawned on me to double-check to ensure that I locked the car, until I was at the airport.

Fortunately, I had remembered to lock the M6 so all was well with it.

In checking the M6 I found a small, dead bird in the carport. Oh boy, it’s as if my house was being used for all sorts of satanic rituals while I was away!

ITP Flickr Pics
I’ll pepper each day’s blog with a photo or two, trying to give the story behind each.

Today we’ll start with my white whale in Sankt Goar, this castle:
My White Whale
This is the castle I was told I could walk up to, but was not told about the long stretch of road ahead before I could start climbing the steps.

Here is another perspective showing just how far I walked before getting to those steps:
Oh The Places I Won't Go
I took this shot when I had realized that I was never going to make it to that castle (seen in the distance in the upper right hand side).

Feeling The Lag
I tried my hardest to stay awake last night, I think I made it until about 7:30pm, which was 11:30pm German time.

I was awakened by the loud ringing of my phone, my mother calling me at 9:30pm to ensure that I arrived home safely.

Sleep was an on-and-off again proposition, as one can expect when waking up in Germany and going to sleep in the United States.

I used my time-shifted body clock to my best advantage this morning by going out for a 25-mile bike ride this morning. Seems like a bad idea right now… 😉

Work Is Calling…
The blog is already “late”, I need to start catching up with work. More tomorrow.

Paulie [eatl/ga]

This entry was posted in My Daily Life. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Living On Deutschland Time

  1. steve says:

    Glad you got home in one piece. Former ITP reader Martha reported on marta problems at the airport station… must have been you riding it!!

    Had the blog been timely, I was going to invite you to lunch today and hear grand tales of your adventures. My loss.

    I’m heading to the little bike shop by Piedmont park to get a couple tubes and a patch kit as I feel nekkid without a way to patch. I’ve been bad all week with no exercise- I can blame Debbie for wanting to have an early dinner out last night, and travelling Tuesday.

    Glad to see your fears were unfounded with the M6- you know we could have locked it for you.


  2. Stacy says:

    Great pictures – not at all how I imagined! 🙂 Simply gorgeous. Well, I imagined it would be beautiful, but the trek/castle itself I was far off.

    Oh, and goofball, remember how I said I could run over to the ITP Estate for you back at the beginning of all of this? If it was something as simple as checking if your car was locked (and then lock it if it wasn’t), that seriously could have been easily done.

  3. Paulie [eatl/ga] says:

    I’m not sure if you could have locked it, and then I would have been worried the entire time.

    No theories on the burned newspaper?

    Tomorrow’s blog will be timely, I promise. 🙂

  4. steve says:

    I would say your neighbors are wiccan and celegrated the solstice in your driveway. Otherwise, it was hashers.

  5. Barb says:

    busy as hell at work – I’m over this end of the month, end of the quarter, end of the half year, end of the year crap. Why does everyone wait until the last minute to ship???

    CRV has a new (to us) catalytic convertor -and has passed emmisions. Now I just have to get the Subaru done & I can pay my tags.

  6. Hurrah, Barb!

    I’ve received my sticker for the M6. Being a 2015 car I didn’t have to do emissions this year. Huzzah!

  7. Barb says:

    You get 3 years – so next year will be free too. Subaru is a 2013, so I was hoping it was still ok this year – but no suck luck.

Comments are closed.